My name is Andrew Hertel. I am a professional nature, landscape and sports photographer. I am pursuing my dream of capturing the beauty and majesty of nature, animals and the intensity and drama of sports. Living in San Diego, CA has given me the perfect canvas to capture my passions.
I grew up in a small, midwestern town where I learned to love the outdoors and the stark contrasts of light on a landscape. My fondest childhood memories are camping with my family in the rolling hills of Indiana and attending Notre Dame football games. My wife and I moved to California in pursuit of adventure, great weather and more opportunities to explore what we love. Each of us are determined to live the best versions of ourselves.
My wife, Chef Maeve Rochford opened a super successful bakery and restaurant, Sugar and Scribe in La Jolla, while I worked in Property Management to pay the bills. It was there that I honed the skills on the weekends as a photographer. In 2017 I quit the corporate life to devote my life to photography and to bring the world the art that I feel is so powerful, beautiful and important.
I hope you enjoy my work as much as I did creating it.
Follow along on my journey, please drop me a line if you have any comments or questions, I’d love to hear from you!
P.S. Yes, the dog in my logo is actually my dog Sligo. She's a yellow lab and she's named after the county in Ireland where my wife's family lives.
2018 - "Out To Sea", San Diego County Fair Exhibition of Photography: Honorable Mention Ribbon
THE NATURE FIRST PRINCIPLES
1. Prioritize the well-being of nature over photography.
2. Educate yourself about the places you photograph.
3. Reflect on the possible impact of your actions.
4. Use discretion if sharing locations.
5. Know and follow rules and regulations.
6. Always follow Leave No Trace principles and strive to leave places better than you found them.
7. Actively promote and educate others about these principles.